Formation is looking for a talented Mechanical Engineer to join our growing team. This position calls for a creative, hands-on engineer capable contributing throughout the development process. This includes establishing the problem space through feasibility studies and configuration research through conceptualization, prototyping and detailed technical follow through to create mass produced products. Candidates are expected to demonstrate project management capability and a strong personal commitment to creating truly innovative work. Successful candidates will carry out design and development work in concert with an award winning industrial design team in a fast paced consulting environment.
The ideal individual for this opportunity is a motivated, conscientious, collaborative engineer interested in a solid career opportunity with a dynamic group of creative professionals. Candidates should have experience with all aspects of the design engineering process, including: open ended creative brainstorming & concept development and rapid idea generation, creation of descriptive 2D visualizations, geometrically accurate 3D CAD Data, and detailed physical mock-ups. Interest in and an aptitude for prototyping and bread-boarding is a major plus. A degreed engineer is preferable with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience. Exposure to varied manufacturing environments and familiarity with medical or automotive systems is desirable. Proficiency with parametric solid modeling tools such as Siemens NX (formerly Unigraphics), SolidWorks or Catia is essential.
We’re interested in individuals capable of big picture thinking characterized by a generalist approach. By generalist we mean a well-rounded Engineer interested in a broad range of challenging problems. Formation’s team is focused on developing innovative solutions for a diverse client base that includes products such as aircraft interiors and high volume consumer packaging. Historically, our work can be described as invention and innovation focused with an emphasis on technically challenging spatial, functional and configuration problems. If you admire Dean Kamen, James Dyson, Burt Rutan or Thomas Edison and consider yourself to be a tinkerer/inventor with a high aptitude and interest in hands on design engineering in a new product development context, please contact us.
Specific Qualifications + Requirements
• Applicants must have 2+ years of relevant engineering or product development experience.
• Understanding & working knowledge of fabrication techniques such as metal forming, cutting, joining and finishing methods
• Understanding of plastic component design
• Familiarity with production processes such as: injection molding, injection mold tool design, sheet metal forming, metal injection molding.
• Proficiency in identifying, assessing and working with potential suppliers
• Creating bills of materials and working with suppliers to generate cost estimates
• The ability to provide technical guidance to internal teams for issues related to manufacturability cost, sustainability, manufacturing and supply chain strategy
• The ability to identify alternate materials for cost, feasibility, efficiency or sustainability
• The ability to conceptualize & develop concept solutions based on client’s business requirements and defined parameters.
• Previous experience with and the ability use 3D Solids CAD software to develop parametric concept models is essential.
• An intuitive sensitivity to and affinity for elegant & appropriate engineering solutions
• The ability to present and explain engineering or research work directly to Formation’s staff and clients.
• Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills